Pages

Saturday, January 08, 2005

The Homecoming Stretch

If all goes as scheduled, my soldier in Iraq, along with his band of National Guard brothers, is due to come home next month. As the clock winds down on his tour of duty, I find myself more nervous, not less.

The terrorists have shown repeatedly that they mean bloody business in challenging the January 30 elections. The amount of carnage most likely yet to come in the month of January is a frightening thought. I can only hope and pray, first and above all, that he and his men remain unharmed. My second hope is that they come home as scheduled in mid-February.

I begin 2005 with an eye on the calendar and my soul on prayer watch. May the Lord who brought our lives to this crucial intersection grant us the opportunity to meet one day. In the meanwhile, my heroic friend, may He keep you safe.