Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The Soldier's Saint

The new tradition of the Moment of Remembrance at 3:00 PM on Memorial Day is a good one. It does every American good to stop for a moment on that day and reflect upon the incomprehensible sacrifices that have been made for us and the reason we set aside this solemn date to honor our fallen military heroes.

For my own moment at around 3:00 PM yesterday, I read a prayer to St. Michael the Archangel. St. Michael is the patron saint of soldiers and police officers, a very fitting role. It is he who is called upon to battle Satan. I can't think of a better advocate for our military than Michael the Archangel.

I sent my Marine a laminated prayer card of St. Michael with a painting of him smiting Satan, sword in hand, on the front and a prayer asking his protection in battle on the back. In the letter in which the card was enclosed, I asked my Marine--appropriately enough, named Michael--to toss the card into his backpack. "It couldn't hurt," is what I wrote. I bought an extra one for myself, to pray along with my Marine.

My soldier, who came home safely in March after a year's tour of duty, along with his entire National Guard unit, carried a St. Michael's prayer card that I sent him, too.

So far, thank God, it's working.