Pages

Friday, January 30, 2009

What Scares Me Most

In these most recent 20 years -- the alleged winter of our disrespect of the Islamic world -- America did not just respect Muslims, it bled for them.
~ Charles Krauthammer

Charles Krauthammer has written an important essay on the truth of America's treatment of the Muslim world. What scares me most about Obama's presidency is his terribly dangerous posturing as the penitent new American leader, pandering to the Muslim world with firm hubris in the power of his charm and persuasion.

My greatest fear is that this kindler, gentler approach to those who wish us dead will indeed result in more dead Americans. The shadow of September 11 has grown dim in our collective memory (although not in mine), and our enemy thinks in decades, not months or years as is our impatient and perilous wont. This is the reason I voted for McCain, a Republican for which I had little enthusiasm except on the one issue that matters most to me--national security.

I sincerely hope I am wrong. But I am afraid that, with each well-heralded shift away from the security policies of President Bush, we move closer towards disaster at the hands of a vicious enemy who nods approvingly at our incredible naivete.

The economic crisis is serious, of course, but however difficult the means, it can be fixed. Money is in constant ebb and flow, but there is no return on investment for lives lost.