Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

All-Star Ego

So the National League loses the All-Star Game yet again, 13th year in a row. Depressing. And San Diego Padre pitcher Heath Bell gave up the winning run. Humiliating.

Before the game, there was a video tribute by all five living presidents, but I've had more than my fill of President Obama's speeches. The president is unquestionably in love with the sound of his own voice, but I'm not. He tends to drone on at tedious length. Boring.

It was time for some "change" I could believe in. So I channel surfed for a bit...switched back, and found former President Carter talking. Annoying. Another quick channel jump, and I hopped back for the last few words from George W. Bush (I never thought I would miss that guy so much.) Continuing to switch channels throughout the opening ceremonies and commercials, I lingered on a news report and, when I went back to the game, I had missed Obama's first pitch (hey, I'll live).

The game was on, I was home free--or so I thought. But just when I thought it was safe to stretch out on the sofa with my corn chips and enjoy some baseball, who appears on screen? President Obama, all settled into the middle of the broadcast booth, complete with headset, chuckling, beaming, and--guess what?--talking! Nauseating.

What is with this guy? His compulsion to be the center stage hog at every and any event is beyond embarrassing. Does anyone care less than I do that his wife thinks he looks cute in his White Sox jacket? Is it too much to ask that America be able to watch the annual All-Star Game in peace?

I wonder if Obama's getting us ready for his play-by-play during the World Series. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.