Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Big Man Down


With the passing of Clarence Clemons, it's the end of a rock music era.

David Remnick's piece in The New Yorker, BLOODBROTHER: CLARENCE CLEMONS, 1942-2011 is a wonderful tribute to a unique rock legend. The synergy between Bruce Springsteen and Clemons was a musical force of nature that electrified their concerts. Rock fans shall not see such magic onstage again, and the music world is poorer for it.

If Springsteen was the head, heart, and hands of the E-Street Band, then Clemons was the soul. I'm glad I got to see him play.

Have a good time making music with the angels, Big Man.
But the stars are burnin' bright like some mystery uncovered
I'll keep movin' through the dark with you in my heart
My blood brother
~ Bruce Springsteen, Greatest Hits 1995
Photo: Lynn Goldsmith/Corbis