Although I'd only seen one of the nominated "Best Picture" films this year, I still made my picks, set up my snacks, and settled into the sofa for four hours. (Hey, once a year can't hurt, even if it is Lent.)
Predictably, as always, the show ran overtime and straight into Downton Abbey. While much of the proceedings do tend towards boring, there were a few notable moments, both shining and awkward. Here are my winners:
- Julianne Moore - charming and classy in her Best Actress acceptance speech.
- Lady Gaga - shocked me with her gorgeous singing in the Sound of Music medley. Who knew?
- John Travolta - could use sexual harassment prevention training. Just ask ScarJo or Idina Menzel.
- Chris Pine - dude, what's with the tears during Glory? David Oyelowo, yes. You? Get a grip!
- Michael Keaton - good to see him just enjoying being back on the "A" list, but I wish he'd won.
- Sean Penn - "SOB" to the Best Picture winner? Really? Joke or no, trashy.
- Neil Patrick Harris - fine job as host, but did we really need to see him in his underwear?