Pages

Sunday, March 03, 2019

Creativity, Lost

Mama, life had just begun
But now I've gone and thrown it all away

 ~ "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen

The 2018 movie Bohemian Rhapsody got mixed reviews from film critics. I watched it this weekend, did my own critique, and found that I liked it--very much. These days, it's a rare movie that can pull me in and hold me for two hours.

Actor Rami Malek is impressively successful in conveying the performing energy and personal conflicts of Freddie Mercury, and he has the Academy Award to prove it. But as heartfelt as Malek's portrayal of Freddie Mercury is, no one can replicate the sheer electricity of watching Mercury perform his own material in front of an enthusiastic crowd. Queen's performance at the 1985 Live Aid concert was a uniquely powerful moment in musical history. Watch it on YouTube and see if you don't agree.

As much as I enjoyed the movie, it did leave me wistful that a such gifted singer, songwriter, and performer as Freddie Mercury self-destructed so young. He accomplished quite a lot while he was here, but we'll never know what musical delights might have been to come.