Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Life in Lockdown

There isn't anyone who isn't affected by the coronavirus, COVID-19, that started in China and has swept across the globe. In my case, I've canceled three trips scheduled in April and May, and I'm working on a laptop at home for the first time. It's a strange time for America.

Earlier today, I decided to visit the grocery store. Because I was instilled with my mother's prepper mentality, I have plenty of food in the house. I hadn't been inside a store in twelve days. But eventually the perishables such as eggs and coffee creamer need to be restocked. I had been hoping the stores would've calmed down by now, but in many ways they're worse than two weeks ago.

The first store I visited had two young, imposing male employees stationed outside the closed sliding glass doors, one standing on each side. Above their work aprons, their muscled arms were folded in a bouncer stance. As I got closer, I could see a line of waiting customers snaking along the sidewalk to the right. Then I saw the sign that detailed allowing only a certain number of people in the store at one time. The entire tableau was reminiscent of the old Soviet Union; this was not where I wanted to shop, thank you. I headed back to my car and drove to the next option.

Here I could enter freely, but blue tape marked off 6-foot intervals near the cash register. Masks and gloves abounded on store employees and customers alike. I found eggs but no creamer, so I waited my turn to approach the cashier. I was promptly told to "step back"--well, do you want my money or not? And you have room to step back too, sweet pea. But never mind; I meekly complied, left as quickly as possible, and headed for Store #3.

Here a sign next to the front door warned in bold black lettering "We Do Not Have Toilet Paper!" Well, of course not, silly--nobody does! Fortunately I don't have to worry about that particular product for a month or two. I ventured in and found creamer (not my usual, but any port in the CV-19 storm, right?). I traveled the 6-foot blue tape gauntlet once again (making sure to "step back" at the register), got the heck out of there, and don't plan to go into ANY store any time soon. It's a truly miserable dystopian experience.

There are some upsides to being under pandemic-imposed house arrest. On Sunday I decided to treat myself to Disney+ and immediately watched Frozen II. I "visited" my grandkids via FaceTime yesterday, which was a huge lift to my spirits. I've heard from lots of family, friends, and neighbors, mostly by phone. That's a welcome change from our increasingly dominant text communications. I'm doing more reading, saving gas money, and still getting paid for working from home.

Speaking of work, my lunchbreak is over and I'd better get back to it--right after I disinfect my keyboard and WASH my HANDS. Stay safe and well, everyone!