Pages

Sunday, August 09, 2020

Canceling Mail-In Voting

For many years, I had been receiving my new driver's license in the mail. Because I hadn't changed addresses, received any tickets, or had any other items that might hold up a reissuance, I was on the DMV's automatic renewal list for over ten years. It was a great run.

Last year, due to the new "travel chip" that the airlines will soon be requiring, I needed to go to the DMV to renew in person. That experience was a living nightmare the details of which I'll spare you. But one of the outcomes of that visit to the DMV, in addition to obtaining my new travel-friendly driver's license, was an automatic registration as a "permanent mail-in voter" in the State of California. I was quite surprised when I received my mail-in ballot, complete with an "I Voted" sticker, via the USPS about one month before the November 2019 election.

Um, no thank you. I re-registered as an in-person voter, requested a paper ballot, and was assigned my local polling place. Much better! I always vote in person. I like to watch my handcrafted ballot deposited directly into the padlocked box. It's true that I still don't know for certain the final fate of my paper vote, but at least I've done all I can to ensure that it finds its way to the correct destination to be counted on Election Day.

Mail-in voting, in this year of all years? If "cancel culture" belongs anywhere, it should start there.