Pages

Monday, January 11, 2021

Silenced


When I left Twitter and Facebook in November, I joined Parler. While I didn't post, I followed those media figures I had followed on Twitter and read their content and comments. It was an alternative source of news, a differing perspective, a viewpoint challenging the politically correct monolith of distorted and dishonest mainstream media.

As of today Parler has been shut down virtually overnight by Google, Facebook, Apple, and Amazon--our leftist communication overlords. Free speech is now a thing of the past in America. Since I find I'm living quite easily without Facebook or Twitter, I suppose I'll adjust in time to no news on social media; I've lived many decades without such electronic outlets and certainly can do so again. 

But what to do about the corruption and curtailing of our constitutional right to free speech? Conservatives can take individual tiny steps that collectively will have an effect over time. This morning I deleted the Instagram app from my phone. I've started checking Newsmax at least as often as Fox News. I'm planning to buy a Barnes & Noble Nook e-reader to replace my Amazon Kindle. Aside from not supporting Big Tech or Big Media, we can subscribe to such online publications as The Epoch Times

From a practical standpoint, the fact that there were nearly 75 million conservative voters in the 2020 election shows there are simply too many of us for totalitarian measures to remain effective. When threatened by tyranny, history tells us that Americans will find their voice. I have to believe the current imposed silence will not last.