Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

An Alternate Universe

We've probably all seen a movie or television show wherein the main character finds him or herself trapped in an alternate universe. Everything looks the same, but all the details of daily life have somehow changed. The script usually spins itself out with this main character frantically trying to discover a way back to reality or endeavoring to convince the surrounding strangers that he really does belong here.

When it comes to national news, I find myself living in an alternate universe for the past several months.

I should let you know that I listen to conservative talk radio. I discovered it after 9/11, and I found it an immediate source of refreshing logic and good information. I stay tuned, especially to Hugh Hewitt's afternoon show. And what I'm hearing on Hugh leads me to conclude, I'm like the main character in an alternate universe script.

John Kerry's preposterous lies are overwhelmingly obvious. Christmas in Cambodia 1968--now recanted, but glossed over by mainstream media. The CIA operative that he took up the river has been debunked in painstaking detail throughout the blogosphere by those who are in a good position to know the truth about such things. The book, Unfit for Command, by John O'Neill and Jerome Corsi, contains carefully researched and documented facts about Kerry's Vietnam service as told by hundreds of Vietnam vets who served with him.

Where is the mainstream media? Why are these stories not given attention on the evening newscasts of the alphabet stations? These facts are not pleasant or favorable to John Kerry's presidential aspirations. Therefore, they are unacceptable as news stories to the elite media who manage what information we are fed. The disagreeable facts are ignored in the alternate universe.

But in the world of talk radio, I hear it all. Whatever happened to the Sandy Berger story? You remember, the guy with the stuffed socks, ambling out of the National Archives with secret documents concealed in creative garment locations? Did we imagine that story? The media elites would like us to think so, or better yet, to forget it. But no, the Sandy Berger story is alive on talk radio. I heard Laura Ingraham mention it this morning.

So I listen to Hugh Hewitt on my drive home, and each day I learn more about the fictionalized war service of John Kerry. But in the major network's alternate universe, you'll only hear about his vacation plans.

Send a message to that faraway planet called Major Medialand. Elect George W. Bush in November. The fabricators then just might be forced to acknowledge that they aren't living in the real world. No matter how hard they spin this script, they can't manufacture an alternate universe that feels safer than America under honest leadership.

President Bush and his administration aren't saying much about Kerry's factual troubles right now. But then, they don't have to. Truth is much easier to manage than the alternative.