Pages

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Ten Wishes For 2005

1. I wish that Bill Clinton would learn to follow the traditional grace and courtesy of all past presidents in not publicly upstaging or criticizing the current Chief Executive. To be more blunt, I wish he’d sit down and shut up.

2. I wish that Hollywood’s ruling caste would get a clue that the majority of Americans cherish the United States and support its president. Part of this wish is that the moguls would start in on at least one epic motion picture about the most devastating and life-altering day in our nation’s history: September 11, 2001.

3. I wish that ABC’s Peter Jennings would figure out, in the wake of Tom Brokaw’s retirement and Dan Rather’s impending departure, that it might be time for him to step down, too. As declining ratings continue to demonstrate, the television network news broadcast could use a complete transfusion of new blood.

4. I wish that the Democrat party would calm down and find a way to accept that not every terrible thing that happens is somehow President Bush’s or the Republican party’s fault. It’s impossible to take seriously their current hysterical approach to politics.

5. Oh, how I wish that the United Nations would be held accountable for its role in the Oil For Food scandal.

6. And oh, how I wish that traditional media outlets would choose to cover that U.N. role.

7. On the subject of Old Media, I wish that they would cover the positive things that are happening in Iraq as well as the negatives. We don’t hear much on the network news about Iraqi hospitals and schools reopening, roads and bridges being rebuilt—but those things are happening, even as we suffer American casualties.

8. Further to the subject of Old Media, I wish that they would learn to worry about international opinion the same way that France does.

9. I wish that more Americans would adopt a member of our military through Soldiers’ Angels.

10. Last, but most important, I wish that every American--indeed, I wish every world citizen--who is fortunate enough to be employed, well-fed, and safe, would donate some amount of money to the tsunami relief efforts in Asia, through the reputable, private charitable organization of their choice. Just imagine, if each of us did that, what a wonderful world this could be.

Best wishes to all for a safe and Happy New Year.