Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2005

On His Way Home

Some of you will remember that for the past year, I've supported a soldier in Iraq through the wonderful organization Soldiers' Angels. His faithful e-mails had stopped in the past several days, and I was on edge because of the violence following the elections in Iraq. I knew that his tour of duty was due to conclude this month, and I hoped he was already in transit. But, I couldn't be sure until I heard from him.

Today, I received an e-mail from him. He's already in Kuwait and is scheduled back in the U.S. on February 17.

It's hard to describe the kaleidoscope of emotions his message engendered within me. I cheered out loud, breathed a sigh of relief, grew teary-eyed, whispered a prayer of thanksgiving. All this for a soldier I have never met, yet I have grown to cherish as both a dear personal friend and a precious national treasure. I can't even begin to imagine how his family must feel.

God bless you, Sarge. Thanks for putting it all on the line for us back home. Good man, great job, brave sacrifice. All Americans owe you, big time and always. I hope we get to meet each other someday. But, even if we don't, remember that your "Yankee Angel" is proud to be forever in your debt.