Pages

Monday, March 07, 2005

A Bit More on Mel Gibson

As I surfed the news websites tonight, trollling for a blog topic, I happened across the title link on NewsMax.com. It was interesting to learn that Mel Gibson concurs with my conclusion that the Third Secret has not yet been fulfilled. And it made me chuckle to read that he was tempted to ask, "So, what's the Third Secret?" when he met Sr. Lucia last year during his visit to her convent to show the sisters "The Passion of The Christ."

"The Passion Recut" is being released by Gibson on Friday, March 11, and I think that's a smart move. I saw the original movie in the theatre last year and thought it was a moving, gripping and intense experience--but there were fleeting scenes I just couldn't watch. Chunks of flesh being ripped off Jesus's back, closeups of nails being driven through his flesh were a bit too much for me to handle. I'm sure many parents kept their children away from "The Passion of The Christ" for fear of nightmares and emotional upset. In fact, I know many adults who avoided the film for the same reasons. Gibson is correct in thinking that his slightly-edited film will reach a wider audience with some of the more startling violence softened.

Mel Gibson is one of a kind. He has achieved secular success on the highest level and in the most expansive arena, Hollywood. Yet he has the perspective to realize the vanity of it all, and the good values to recognize his place in the Universe. He uses his wealth and influence to achieve good ends. Displaying a truly “brave heart,” Gibson gambled $25 million of his own cash to make “Passion” because no one in Hollywood would touch the project. The film grossed over $600 million worldwide.

Talk about having the courage of your convictions! If you believe in your dream, Mel Gibson shows us all how it’s done. Based on his proven track record, Gibson’s Fatima film promises to be yet another beautiful movie experience that people will be lining up to see. I can almost taste the popcorn already.