Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2005

For Our Fallen

Free Ride

Born free as an American, so many years ago,
I’ve lived with opportunities all in my nation know.
I’ve traveled sea to shining sea,
I’ve come and I’ve gone unhindered.
I chose my home, my spouse, my job
And reaped all the blessings tendered.

What I believe, what books I read, what prayers I breathe, are mine.
If I decide to speak in print, to write a different line
No trepidation stays my hand.
Though many others disagree,
I fear no black boots at my door--
I write it with impunity.

Yet I have never lost the joy a brother’s laugh can bring,
A sweetheart’s kiss, a husband’s touch--no, I’ve not lost a thing.
I’ve never even lost a friend
To battle’s hot and hungry roar.
Unmarked by loss or suffering,
I’ve never felt the welts of war.

But at what price my comforts come! Born of blood and smoke
The soldiers that I’ve never known, with whom I never spoke,
Have bought for me my luxury.
Their families have wept deep tears,
With aching hearts that never heal,
While I, in safety, spin my years.

Remember that the gifts we share are bought at priceless cost;
Americans, give honor to our heroes who are lost.