Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Have Spin, Will Unravel

"Maybe we need a 9/11 Commission Commission to investigate the 9/11 Commission."
~ Mark Steyn

I’m quite relieved that I never spent an overabundance of time on the proceedings or outcome of the 9/11 Commission. It’s becoming increasingly apparent that their report needed a bit more truth and a lot less politics.

My indifference to the Commission stemmed from the fact that an appointee of the Clinton Justice Department, Jamie Gorelick, sat in judgment on the Commission instead of in the witness chair, where she belonged. That was too far through the political looking-glass for me to give much credence to the Commission’s findings. In fact, the word "joke" comes to mind.

When the 9/11 Commission Report was released, I did read the section about the planes, and it brought me to tears. If there was a chance to stop this, but the stopping didn’t happen…well, we can only hope that the responsible parties will have a lifetime job trying to face themselves in the mirror.

We owe all the 9/11 dead a full and true recounting of the genesis of 9/11, not one filtered through partisan shutters. We should be told what was known exactly when, by exactly whom. But I, for one, won’t bet money that we will.