Pages

Friday, September 23, 2005

Who'll Stop the Rain?

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
~ John 13:34

With Hurricane Rita now lashing the Gulf Coast, it seems a good time to remind people about the excellent charity organizations that will continue to need the help and contributions of more fortunate Americans.

The following are my personal choices for best use of donations:

Catholic Charities - Diocese of Galveston-Houston
Soldiers Angels - Operation Katrina Soldiers Relief Fund
The American Red Cross
The Salvation Army

There are many other worthy charities, and each charitable giver has his or her own favorite. If children in need are your primary concern, Feed the Children is a fine choice. Animal lovers will find a perfect destination for their donations at Noah's Wish, whose sole purpose is caring for animals affected by disasters.

Wherever your interests and sympathies lies, choose a reputable charity that seems right for you, and give.

I keep thinking of a wise saying I have often heard quoted: I wondered why somebody didn't do something. Then I remembered that I'm somebody.

Let's all help to keep open the umbrella of support for our suffering neighbors.