Pages

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Going Nowhere

Bill Kristol and Hugh Hewitt say it all better than I can. They have tough fighting words for the Republican members of Congress and the Senate who are scared of their election shadows.

I have listened to most of the interviews with the Republican “leadership”—Boehner, Coleman, Cantor. God help us center-right GOPers, we’re screwed. I have never in my life heard so many lame, incoherent, Porky Pig-like “Be-da-be-de-be-da-be-de” non-responses cobbled together. The Republicans are stammering and stuttering their way through a completely asinine variety of “that’s not what we meant” excuses for their 180 on the war. And, as is often the case with the aptly-named Porky, none of them make any sense.

As for the 32,000+ signers of the Pledge, of which I am one, I'm reminded of a line from an old George Carlin routine: “A man has barricaded himself in his house; however, he is unarmed and no one is paying the slightest bit of attention to him.”

That’s us. The unarmed man is the GOP base voters. Simply put, we have no clout. Our “leaders” are too busy trying to salvage their cushy jobs to care what we think. Worse, they don’t care what the troops, whom they profess to agonize over, think or feel.

As many of you know, I am a Soldier’s Angel for nearly four years. I received an e-mail last week from my 1st Sgt. in Iraq, and here is part of what he said:

My troops and I are doing very well. We are just trying to stay vigilant and
focused. Everytime I think things are getting better over here (there’s) bad
news all over again. I think we are making progress in this part of the country.


The self-absorbed indifference of the politicians doesn’t hurt us at home as much as it hurts the “vigilance and focus” of our troops in the field. For that shameful fact, there can be absolutely no explanation or excuse.

Th-th-th-th-that’s all, folks.