Pages

Sunday, May 06, 2007

External Influence


Nothing external to you has any power over you.



Obviously, Emerson never had his house tented for termites.

Forget waterboarding. I say let's have all the captive terrorists prepare for termite fumigation, day after day. Before the week is out, they'll be climbing over one another to give the Gitmo guards OBL's cell phone number.

I think--no, wait, I know--I would rather move out of state than ever go through this again.

Root canal is preferable.

So is labor and childbirth.

In fact, I would prefer undergoing a root canal in the midst of childbirth, on moving day, to ever going through "termiting" again. My son and daughter would probably prefer it, too, having dealt with several weeks' worth of Mom's angst during the Herculean preparations. Not to mention my friends and co-workers, who have listened to my fevered whining with commendable patience.

One of my good friends remarked, "I've never seen you like this." She was incredulous that, with all the problems she has seen me cope with so calmly over the years, that "something like this" would unhinge me.

Ha! Just wait until her house needs to be tented.