Pages

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Supreme Challenge


I don't like John McCain. I don't trust him for a variety of reasons--his nastiness and his stance on illegal immigration are two random examples that spring to mind--and I don't want to vote for him.

But logical, pragmatic people are going to have to take the long view in this election if they want to preserve the country's integrity. That's not an exaggeration.

There are few longer views to take in the U.S.A. than to look at the approaching Supreme Court vacancies. These are lifetime appointments; no justice needs to worry about campaigns, elections, term limits, or political correctness.

Republican, conservative, moderate, and independent voters need to think very carefully about the following information:

John Paul Stevens
Born: April 20, 1920

Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Born: March 15, 1933

Antonin Scalia
Born: March 11, 1936

Anthony M. Kennedy
Born: July 23, 1936

Stephen Breyer
Born: August 15, 1938

David Hackett Souter
Born: September 17, 1939

These are six out of nine Supreme Court justices between the ages of 68 and 88. How many of these justices will need to be replaced within the next four years? How many within the next eight years?

The next president will appoint the successors for several, if not all, of these esteemed members of SCOTUS. The new justices will probably serve for the rest of my life. The question I need to ask myself is, who will make the wiser choices for Supreme Court justice--Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, or John McCain?

Logical, pragmatic people arrive at logical, pragmatic answers. I don't like him, but I think John McCain would do the least damage to the third branch of our government. So, if McCain is the Republican nominee, I'll accept his candidacy--without joy or enthusiasm. But, I'll vote for him--without reservation.