Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

January Mystique

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
~ Hamlet Act 1, Scene 5 ~ Wm. Shakespeare

Today, as I “surfed the net,” I came across this piece by David Brooks, “In Defense of Death,” written in honor of the recently deceased Fr. Richard Neuhaus. While the article is interesting in itself, I find it especially intriguing because it was 3 years ago today—on Friday the 13th, 2006--that my husband and I learned he would die very soon. One week to the day later, Pete was gone.

I don’t know how to explain the many coincidences that punctuate the sad, secret little anniversaries I observe each January. I only know that they occur with startling regularity, and that they bring me a sense of peace and comfort. Stumbling upon this article today, on a website I visit only occasionally, is only one of these coincidences.

Pete told me he would haunt me. I like to believe that, in his characteristically precise fashion, he has found a quiet and creative way to do so in a manner that can’t be missed, even by one so habitually preoccupied and unobservant as myself.

In Defense of Death,” indeed. Okay, Pete, I’ve gotten the memo that all is well. Thanks for checking in--again.