Pages

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Lessons in Faith and Courage

Courage is the ladder on which all the other virtues mount.
~ Clare Booth Luce


It's probably safe to conclude that we're all rather weary of idiotic politics, public tax cheats, and global financial disaster. Therefore, I decided to look in an entirely different direction for tonight's post, and this is what I found.

The Martyrs of Nagasaki. Twenty-six of them, crucified on February 5, 1597. I'm sorry I hadn't heard about them before, but far better late than never. Their story is a dramatic and inspiring example of faith, courage, and perseverance in the face of terrible suffering. Once I found them and started researching, I was surprised to find so many references to the Nagasaki Martyrs on the internet.

It's always humbling--and a bit disheartening--to realize how much there still is to learn.

The story of the Martyrs of Nagasaki is well worth knowing, especially in our modern day faith-and-courage challenged world.