Pages

Monday, July 06, 2009

An Independent Choice


It took someone with the star power of Sarah Palin to knock the interminable Michael Jackson circus from the headlines. Even in the media black hole of a holiday weekend, the commotion she has created by announcing she will resign as Alaska's governor has been remarkable.

I'm not the "Paliniac" that many conservatives are, but I do like Sarah Palin. She's honest, she's real, and she's got guts to spare. And, Northwestern twang notwithstanding, she is completely capable of putting a sentence together without the aid of a teleprompter and with a minimum of "uhmmms." Refreshing, to say the least.

The real reason behind her sudden departure from elected office will be a source of unending speculation. While I don't like quitting a commitment to the public trust, if I put myself in her pumps I can understand her decision. She is trashed unfairly and unmercifully by President Obama's worshipful MSM, but I do think she can tolerate that terrible treatment. Palin is one tough lady.

My theory agrees with those who say that it's the harassment and attacks upon her children and her family, and the mounting legal bills to pay for the endless investigations into her actions as governor (in all of the settled cases, she has been acquitted of any wrongdoing). I think it's the media's thirst for Palin blood at any cost that has driven this public servant to abandon her post. If I'm correct, that is very sad for America.

Today, more than ever, this country needs good, sincere people who are willing to step forward and run for office. The media's absolutely disgusting treatment of Sarah Palin has made it more likely that such good people will think twice before throwing themselves--and their families--to the unprincipled and insatiable wolves of MSM.

If she is planning to try for the presidency, I'll be surprised. Quitting the governorship mid-term was not the best tactic for such a strategy. However, stranger things have happened. We have a term-quitter as president right now, as a matter of fact. Perhaps that's why the liberals remain so viciously terrified of her.

I'm glad that Sarah Palin has a multitude of job offers pouring in. She has earned every one of them, and I wish her the best of luck no matter what path she chooses to follow next.