Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

"I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection."
~ Sigmund Freud

It's been a very long time since I could wish my dad a Happy Father's Day. After twenty-three years, I still miss him.

As an adult, with a continent between us, I never did much for Dad on Father's Day. Of course, being a good father, he never expected much. Dad really enjoyed humorous greeting cards, so each year I would send him a funny card. He always said that if a card didn't make you laugh immediately when you opened it and read the punch line, it was the wrong card. I would spend considerable time each year selecting the properly amusing card for him.

On Father's Day morning, I would call Dad and we would chat and chuckle about this year's greeting card. To this day, it is difficult for me to walk past displays of Father's Day greeting cards.

A good dad makes all the difference in life. I hope you can hear me saying, as I do each year, "Happy Father's Day, Daddy."