Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oscar Ennui


We are such stuff as dreams are made on...

Really? Well, once upon a time, Hollywood seemed such a place to me.

Never have I been more detached from Oscar proceedings than I am this year. I've seen one nominated movie in the theater and two on DVD. Aside from that, I'm completely uninformed, and happily so.

The King's Speech, which represents my one trip to the movies, was an excellent film. Whatever prizes it collects will seem justified to me. I watched Toy Story 3 on DVD and thought it inferior to the previous two movies. Inception, another DVD pick, would more aptly have been titled Incomprehensible. Good acting, quality production--nonsensical story.

I'll watch the pageant tonight, as I always have since my teenage years. It's a personal tradition. But sadly, never have I cared less who might win.