Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Kate's Day


“Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire.”
~ Catherine of Siena

Kate Middleton got married on her name day, the feast of St. Catherine of Siena, Doctor of the Catholic Church.

Because of my Latvian in-laws, I am well acquainted with my name day, the day that transcends a birthday in celebratory importance in many European cultures. So when the royal wedding date was first announced, I immediately wondered if the day had been intentionally chosen to coincide with St. Catherine's day.

When I saw St. Catherine quoted and her "festival day" mentioned in the opening line of the Bishop of London's wedding sermon, I believe I had my answer. And at least for today, in the dazzling glow of worldwide media coverage and the lavish outpouring of love and support from her countrymen, the former Kate Middleton, now Duchess of Cambridge, has certainly set the world on fire. Rock on, Kate.