Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

I Loved Lucy

It's impossible for me to calculate how many hours of my life have been spent watching "I Love Lucy" reruns. Rest assured that, had I devoted all that time to higher education, today I would probably hold several post-graduate degrees.

That doesn't mean earning an advanced education would have been time better spent. We've all got to have some fun in life, and nothing is more worthwhile fun that sitting down with a bowl of popcorn and a DVD full of "I Love Lucy" episodes. The woman was a comedic genius, a pure original, a one-and-only talent that we'll never enjoy again.

This weekend marked the 60th anniversary of the premiere of "I Love Lucy," and this year Lucille Ball would have celebrated her 100th birthday. Back when average life expectancies didn't extend past age sixty-something, this woman began a new career as a TV star at age 40. As we all know, her courage and daring was rewarded with worldwide fame and stunning success. That's an angle that gives this story from the vintage years of early television a very contemporary edge.

Lucie Arnaz, daughter of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz (or "Lucy and Ricky," as most TV viewers know them) was interviewed by TV Guide to commemorate her mother and the classic television comedy show. She said that although her mother was very different in real life, she loved playing the Lucy character.

Which was the best episode? I'd have a hard time choosing one over another. Each Lucy fan has his or her favorite, and the show keeps earning new fans among younger generations. "I Love Lucy" will always be top-rated entertainment as long as there's some form of media to watch it. Along with her many millions of fans down through the decades right up to today, I loved Lucy.