Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Hard Day's Work

Talk about a "war on women."

After a firestorm of criticism from both left and right, plus CNN's Wolf Blitzer browbeating a televised apology out of her, Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen will think long and hard before she goes after Ann Romney again. Rosen will be especially careful about any potshots regarding Romney's staying at home to raise her five sons.

Here's a link to what Rosen said, and Ann Romney's response. After viewing it,I think there's more to Ann Romney than meets the eye. Watch her calmly address the slam against her. You'll see gracefulness, classiness, and at some points, a quiet, steely-eyed anger. Considering the fact that she's been managing multiple sclerosis and breast cancer along with motherhood, this lady can handle herself and anything thrown at her.

I don't care how much money a woman has--being a mother of five children is a tough job. Money helps with many of life's problems, but it doesn't prevent the "terrible twos," high fevers, sports accidents, teenager angst, or parental worry.

Often it's a personal choice, but sometimes it's practicality that drives women into the work force. Personally, I would have enjoyed staying at home with my children longer than I did; but, I couldn't afford to do it. To women who are able to stay home and devote themselves to being full-time moms, I say congratulations.

Jacqueline Kennedy once said, "If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." I couldn't agree more.