Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Striking Questions

What's up with this?

Lightning struck the dome of the St. Peter's just hours after Pope Benedict XVI announced his plan to resign at the end of the month.

Now, I think the poor old guy should be able to step down if he doesn't feel up to the task anymore. I can't imagine working at his age, let alone in a high pressure, 24/7 job.

But then, on the other hand, he's the pope--in the Catholic faith, he's chosen by the power of the Holy Spirit, not by any human being. In that unique situation, does he get to call it quits? Or does that decision belong to a Higher Authority?

When asked why he didn't resign due to his poor health, the long-suffering Pope John Paul II reportedly answered, "Christ did not come down from the cross."

Is Pope Benedict XVI's decision right or wrong? I don't know, and I couldn't begin to speculate. But I do know that I like John Paul II's answer. And there were no reports of a thunderbolt striking the Vatican afterwards.