Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Endurance of Dad

John Patrick Carroll - c. 1945
The photo is of my father in what Mom would call his "heyday." Dad's been gone many years, but I still miss him. I've long since accepted the fact that I always will.

Those of us who are fortunate enough to grow up with a good father understand that the relationship is lifelong. Whether he is living or dead, Dad is part of your life. You remember his words, actions, and values, and you find ways to apply his example. I still ask myself "What would Dad do?" when I'm struggling with an issue. Answering that question usually leads me to a satisfactory and wise course of action.

There is only one dad to a customer, so be good to yours while he's here. He'll most likely be gone before you; but I'm constantly amazed at how often thoughts of my father accompany me on my daily path. I can only hope that you will be so lucky.