Pages

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Practicing Patience

I took some personal time to travel and visit with family last week. While visiting Grandson #1 on the East Coast, Grandson #2 was born on the West Coast.  I was looking forward to meeting the new little guy this weekend.

But a miserable cold accompanied me home, along with a dramatic case of laryngitis. So now I'm faced with the most frustrating weekend of my life in not being able to go see my new grand-boy. I find it so ironic that when my first grandchild arrived I was there for the blessed event, nearly 3,000 miles from home, and met him on Day 1 of his life. But for this new baby, who lives within easy driving distance, I was on the other side of the country when he arrived; and now I must wait nearly two weeks to see him for the first time.

For my entire life, I've been challenged by patience. I want things to happen immediately and will move mountains to make it so. That's not always best for everyone involved, including me--so I've worked at becoming more patient, year after year. I think I've made great strides, but at times like this I realize I have a long way to go yet.

I guess God is giving me a little homework in this area for improvement. This will be a very long week. I'll try to be patient.