Pages

Thursday, November 07, 2013

Taking Out the Trash

Information Technology, or "I.T." as it's popularly called, has transformed all of our lives. Where we used to make a call, write a letter, or drop in, we now just log on to a website and do our business (and let the NSA take it from there).

I've had my current computer for almost five years. It's a Mac that I bought for the photo and DVD functions, also the iPod application. Having grown up, technologically speaking, in the Microsoft universe, Apple's document programs are worthless to me. But I do like the photo features, both for personal use and for blogging.

Besides the blog, my other social media platforms include Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Pinterest. That's a lot of keyboarding, a lot of cutting and pasting--and a lot of deleting. Lately I've noticed that web pages have been loading slowly and then crashing, which makes it very tough to blog successfully. So I decided to do some basic maintenance. Remember, I'm a PC person, not an Apple gal. I've never paid too much attention to the trash bin on the desktop.

When I hit the button to empty the trash tonight, I had 48,957 items in it. That was an hour ago. It's down to 45,002 items now. Looks like I'll need to leave the computer running for awhile. And they say Macs are easy? Ha! Lesson learned. This would never happen with a Dell.

Next time I buy a computer, it's back to PC-Land for me. I prefer my Apples to be the edible kind.