Pages

Saturday, March 08, 2014

An Energetic Option

Would Russia have invaded Crimea if we had a different president? We'll never know for sure.

What would you do to address Russia's aggression? How would you make Putin understand that his invasive actions against a sovereign neighboring nation will cause painful consequences to Russia?

There is so much commentary and analysis on the above questions. I suppose there are no easy answers. But I do know this much--if I were president, I wouldn't waste ninety minutes in one phone call and sixty minutes in another trying to reason with an opponent who obviously doesn't respect a word I am saying.

Instead, I would take about ninety seconds to outline my plan of action--on the first day of the invasion, not a week later. It would go something like this:

"Hello, Vladimir. I realize the Ukranian/Crimean crisis does not directly involve my country. But you're nothing if not a practical man, so I know you'll understand that we can't allow your aggression to stand unchallenged. Here are two steps I'm taking to protect my country's security and national interests:
  1. Immediate approval of the Keystone Pipeline to carry oil from Canada to the U.S.
  2. Immediate exportation of natural gas to global markets.
"Good luck with falling energy prices, Vlad. Let's chat again after your next invasion."

End of discussion. Beginning of common sense. It works for me.