Pages

Saturday, January 24, 2015

The Statesman of the Century


We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Fifty years ago today, Sir Winston Churchill died. Ever since I was in the sixth grade, when Churchill was the subject of my first history term paper, I consider him the greatest leader of the 20th century.

As a lifelong lover of words and the English language, I think he was without peer as a gifted speaker and writer. His expression was so stirring, so inspiring, so elegant and profound. I believe it was his depth of commitment, spirit, and eloquence that brought Great Britain successfully through World War II. We certainly could use a statesman of his caliber today.