Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2016

The Unraveling

Every nation has the government it deserves. 

~ Joseph de Maistre


One of my college professors was fond of noting that "there is nothing new under the sun." In this disturbing election cycle, I suppose we can take some comfort in that. However dysfunctional, corrupt, and inadequate the system may be, it seems humanity has suffered through similar circumstances in the past.

This knowledge of the great turning wheel of history helps to give me some philosophical perspective on the upcoming presidential election, which I privately term the "Lucrezia Borgia vs. Caligula" match-up. I think our country is in very serious trouble when we have a lying felon and a bombastic businessman as our two major candidates for the presidency. Regardless of who wins, I wonder if we as a nation can recover or if, as other great nations before us, we are unraveling into a long and painful sunset. I suppose that time alone will tell.