Pages

Saturday, May 04, 2019

Even Closer


Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.
 ~ John Donne

Monday at work I learned that Lori Gilbert Kaye, the woman who was killed last Saturday at Chabad of Poway, was the wife of a physician at my organization. She had a close friend who is also one of our physicians, and one of the physicians I support at the office is in turn close friends with that grief-stricken doctor.

Thus the horrific ripple effects of this hateful violence have affected not only my home community, but my professional life as well. It’s a sad fact that there is no place to hide from the evil hatred that can corrode the human spirit. We can, thankfully, draw comfort from supporting one another.

In Monday's email at work, there was a company message to all employees that consisted of the following:

Aloaim iberch at akhila aihadit shlano
G-d bless our Jewish Community