Pages

Monday, December 27, 2004

A Dreamer's Reality

Years ago, I dreamed that one day I would become a newspaper columnist. I spent considerable time wondering how I could ever achieve such a lofty goal. Year in and year out, as I was working 9-to-5 trying to pay the bills and buy the groceries, I would ponder the question: How could I possibly become a columnist?

I had almost given up the dream in the interests of practicality. Then came Internet web blogs, or "blogs," as they are colloquially termed. In August 2004, I took my little byte out of the blogosphere and launched my column. According to the newly released book Blog, by Hugh Hewitt, I am one of five million bloggers today.

I don't have deadlines to deal with, unless you count firsthand queries from my handful of readers. Nothing can inspire a blogger's output quite so fast as a regular reader asking, "Why haven't you posted anything lately?"

There are no "assignments"--I get to pick what I write about, when I write, how many words, and what editorial slant to take. The only rules are to be honest with your audience and tell the truth, at least as you see it. Readers are smart. They'll know if you're not it playing straight. Just ask any of the hurting bigshots in Old Media.

Blogging is a dream job that is its own reward. That's is a good thing, since there's no money coming in to my blog. Just honesty going out. Hugh Hewitt today proclaimed on his talk radio program words to the effect that "citizen journalism is going to change everything for the better."

It has already changed my life. It made me a columnist, at long last. Thanks for reading.