Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Me, Me, Me

Eliot Spitzer's resignation statement contained 377 words. Twenty-five of those words were "I" and thirteen were "my." Even in an apology--and I give him credit, he did actually apologize--Spitzer's phraseology manages to attribute himself with noble motives.

He won't "disrupt the people's work." Throughout his career, he has "insisted" that "people...take responsiblity for their conduct" and he "will ask no less" of himself.

Quite admirable. But only because he got caught. Client #9 would still quite happily be disrupting the people's work, taking no responsibility for his conduct, and asking nothing of himself, if he hadn't been busted. So how sorry is he, honestly, for all the pain and suffering he has showered upon his family?

We'll never know. But when a public official is going down in the kind of atomic flames that Spitzer currently is, we can learn a lot from the fact that ten percent of his speech is about himself.

Here's a self-congratulatory snippet, with personal references highlighted:
"I look at my time as governor with a sense of what might have been, but I also know that as a public servant, I and the remarkable people with whom I worked have accomplished a great deal."

Well, aren't New Yorkers the lucky ones? I'd like to ask a few. In fact, I intend to do just that. My next weekend telephone calls with NY family members should be highly entertaining. If I hear anything worth sharing on what New Yorkers think about "public servant" Spitzer's "accomplishments," I'll be sure to do a follow-up post. By then, the disgraced former governor should be in the process of trying "once again, outside of politics, to serve the common good ..."

Oh, please. Just go.