Pages

Thursday, February 04, 2021

The Walk of Life

“Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.”

- Steven Wright

We all need to stay sane these days. Between politics and the pandemic, we must find our mental respite in some healthful activities we can commit to and enjoy on a daily basis. I have two calming escape hatches from the craziness of today's world: reading and walking.

The article linked here, "Don't Underestimate the Power of a Walk," pretty much sums up the joys of walking as I have come to experience them. Walking is good exercise that gets you out into the fresh air, and provides a refreshing head reset. I often listen to a lineup of favorite podcasts on my walks, so there's the added satisfaction of multi-tasking. Other walking pastimes include praying the Rosary, talking with a friend on the phone, or just clearing my head and preparing an action plan for whatever needs to be done or dealt with when I return home. Some days I just daydream on whatever thoughts pop into my head. Unlike the mental discipline and focused concentration required in competitive sports, walking allows free and limitless choice of what to think about..

For many years I was a runner, but one too many foot surgeries put me on the walking path. While I do miss the exhilaration of running, walking gives me more time to savor the surroundings of the moment. Walking lets me stop and smell the roses rather than speed past them.

The only equipment required for a walk is a good pair of shoes. If you throw on a tee shirt, sweatshirt and/or ball cap, you're in full uniform. Exercise and its accompanying gear doesn't get easier or more affordable than that. And wherever we go, we bring our feet along with us--so why not put them to work for our good health?  I've come to anticipate this beneficial habit; I don't feel quite right if I miss a day. Even more than a boost to the body, a daily stroll soon becomes food for the soul. Who doesn't need that these days?

Get your sneaks on, and get going!