Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2021

Awakening Action Items

If you're not reading The Federalist, I think you should be--along with American Greatness and The Epoch Times. The August 11th article by Joy Pullman, "85 Things You Can Do To Help The United States Shake Wide Awake" at federalist.com is an invigorating read for anyone who likes to "do" rather than dream.

Out of the 85 recommendations, I counted; I'm already doing more than one quarter of them. That is gratifying, but improvement is always a personal goal. There are plenty of additional positive ideas, and I'm sure that among the 85 items presented there are appropriate action items for everyone.

Among my favorite suggestions was cutting your cable television subscription and donating the cost to charity instead. I also liked not shopping on Amazon; I usually don't, if I can order direct from the vendor's webiste. Refraining from purchasing goods made in China is another favorite. I read labels carefully now. If I can find comparable (or superior) items made elsewhere, China goes back on the shelf. Just this weekend while gift shopping I purchased items from Canada, France, and India. It's easy to do once you get into the habit of checking the merchandise labels.

Since last year I have used DuckDuckGo, Firefox, Bing or Brave as my search engines, not Google. When Covid supply chain disruptions began last year, I started building an emergency food supply stored on my garage shelves. (My mother would've called this my "larder." We kids used to laugh at her stock of backup groceries in the basement, but the past two years have shown that she was onto a valuable precaution.)

The last item reads:

85. Support a Wide Awake writer on Substack, Patreon, or some other subscription or membership option.

I recently discovered Substack and like what I read. Last year I became a supporting member of PragerU. I recommend PragerU most highly to anyone who would like to make sense out of what's happening in the country. The five-minute videos are free, and all are worth watching. I also follow Victor Davis Hanson, one of the smartest, most accomplished and common-sense Americans educators of our time. Listen to his podcasts and learn.

Don't waste precious time wringing hands over the sad state of America. All of us who want our country back should be taking action in our own individual ways, no matter how small, to help shake it wide awake.