Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Taking Stock

Over 40 years ago, I remember my mother-in-law regularly stocking care packages to send to her relatives who were trapped in the Soviet Union. She did this for decades, until well after the Iron Curtain fell. Always included among the clothing and foodstuffs was a large box of tampons. I once asked why she sent that particular item, and she explained that her niece would use them. Such a luxury item as women's tampons did not exist in the Soviet Union.

I was incredulous. Imagine being a 20th century woman and not able to buy tampons! I couldn't comprehend living in such an impoverished society and thanked God I was born in the USA.

Here we are, in America, in 2022. My daughter is coming to visit with her family soon and planning to stay a few weeks. She told me about the tampon shortage on the East coast and how she shops multiple stores and buys whatever version she finally finds; there's no fussing over a favorite brand anymore. Now I find myself busy driving from one drug store to the next, on $6.25 per gallon gasoline, trying to find a box of tampons to have on hand for her. I'm grateful my grandchildren are well past the age for baby formula.

Poverty, want, and the degradation of society are all proud hallmarks of communism. The radical leftists within--what Mark Levin calls the American Marxists--have done a thorough job of bringing our country to its knees. But I have a feeling we're about to rise from the canvas of our discontent. When we can't provide for our own needs or those of our children, we know it's time to make a stand. The mid-term election is coming in November. 

Bring it.