Pages

Monday, October 31, 2022

Secret Voters

The Hill has an intriguing article on what author Douglas MacKinnon is calling "the secret majority." I think he nailed it on the head. Read the piece and see if you agree.

I remember the "silent majority" of a half century ago. That's how President Nixon referred to conservative voters. But, as MacKinnon astutely notes, in those days you wouldn't get fired, have your business shut down or your children expelled from school if you voiced a different opinion. Today's conservatives have learned to be not simply silent, but completely secretive about their political and cultural viewpoints. It's the only rational course of action if one wants to live life in relative peace.

But, as I often say, this used to be a free country. I think there are enough Americans who would like it to be one again, and I also think they are going to make a big difference on November 8. I spent more time than usual reviewing my ballot and researching candidates, especially the judicial ones. The remainder of the ballot was very straightforward for me.

I've already submitted my vote. It's been received and counted (so the Country Registrar's office tells me), but I really can't discuss it any further.

It's a secret.