Pages

Saturday, July 22, 2023

Life Taking Over

I've been offline for a while due to a number of reasons. Coming home from Europe, one expects a healthy dose of jet lag. I didn't expect a walloping case of Covid-19 to hitchhike along with the jet lag, but that came home with me, too.

I was body-slammed for the first week of July with a diverse smorgasbord of revolving symptoms that astounded me. It took three and a half years, but when Covid finally nailed me, it seemed determined to show off all its stuff. Prominent among Covid's many manifestations were the two-to-three-hour naps I felt compelled to take every day. When I was able to return to the office after a week of working at home, the lingering fatigue accompanying me had me longing to close my eyes and put my head down on my desk each afternoon, just like a sleepy kindergarten pupil. Had I done that, I would've been out cold.

Next in July came two sets of visiting relatives, their dates partially overlapping. This was wonderful fun for me, and I enjoyed all the company immensely. However, such lively circumstances do not leave much time for written composition (especially when they include all four grandchildren at your home).

Now I find myself engulfed by the home improvement phase of summer. There are installers, painters, and repair technicians all scheduled at my house in the past few weeks and into August. Oh well, if I want to retire in the foreseeable future--and I do--I'd better get such loose ends dealt with now.

I call times like the unfolding month "life taking over." There's too much to deal with in too little time. We all find ourselves in this unpredictable boat at times, being swept along by the domineering currents of multiple events, commitments, and situations. I like to say that if we come out on the other side with enough energy to complain, it couldn't have been that bad. Depending on whether or not life decides to back up off me, I hope to check in again sooner rather than later. Meanwhile, may all your life takeovers be happy ones.