Pages

Saturday, September 09, 2023

Election Fatigue

Did we really need to start living out the November 2024 election beginning in the summer of 2023? Apparently, both the Republican party and the ubiquitous media is convinced we do.

I'm already weary of all the candidates, but I know that my tiny little opinion has no particular meaning. (I'm also convinced that my vote will have little bearing on the election, but that's a different issue.)

Why do we have to listen to these over-confident and self-satisfied people, every day, ad nauseam? The answer is, we don't. I, for one, am tuning out any speeches, interviews, rallies, and/or campaign ads by any of them. I've already seen and heard enough. Former President Trump is noted for his catchy nicknames, but I have my own code names for the major Republican candidates.

Nikki Haley - The Motor Mouth. Can you imagine listening to her endless fast-talking harangues for four solid years? When she answers a question, she sounds like she popped a speedball on top of three cups of coffee. What a headache. Just in case her candidacy advances, I'm not listening to her for now.

Mike Pence - The Preacher. He's very solemn, he takes himself so seriously, and he loves to lecture "the American People" on right and wrong. He knows what's best, of that he is firmly convinced. Please, Reverend, take a seat.

Vivek Ramaswamy - The Brown Nose. Didn't we all know someone like this in school, who was always ready to demonstrate that he was the smartest kid in the room all while kissing the teacher's butt (in the current Republican political arena, that would be Trump's).

Chris Christie - The Two-Facer. He cozied up to then-President Trump trying to position himself for a key position, and now he has a seemingly endless supply of knives ready to plunge into Trump's back. And who can forget the bear-hug he engulfed Obama in after 2012's Hurricane Sandy, during Mitt Romney's campaign for president? He seems like a big phony.

Tim Scott - The Lost Cause. He's such a good man, but he suffers from "Just Too Nice" syndrome. Also, he can't stop talking about his impoverished childhood. His policy positions are appealing, but I don't think he has the punch to survive this battle. 

Ron DeSantis - The Runner-Up. I really like him, his policies, and how he executes his duties as Florida's governor. He would be a perfect Republican candidate. But, barring unforeseen dramatic events (always possible, probably likely), I don't see anyone catching Donald Trump as the nominee at this point. 

I watched the first debate, but I've checked out of the future ones that are scheduled. I suspect we'll be listening to one of these candidates soon enough.

A minute's peace, please?