Pages

Friday, October 13, 2023

War and Justice

Death has climbed in through our windows and has entered our fortresses; it has removed the children from the streets and the young men from the public squares.

~ Jeremiah 9:21


When I was growing up, my father would always react to cold-blooded murders reported in the news with one sentence: "Take him out and shoot him."

In my idealistic youth, this was a horrifying statement to hear. I would protest that the murderer deserves a trial, due process of the law--all the niceties of mid-20th century American society. Dad was impervious. He would shake his head and reiterate, "Shoot him."

I'm much older and wiser now and, having witnessed so much deliberate evil, I often wish I could tell my father he was right. But in the case of the Hamas atrocities against Israel, I think a quick execution by gunfire is far too kind to the monsters that perpetrated such sadistic slaughter against innocent civilians, including infants.

A fearsome war is coming as Israel fights to survive as a nation and to protect its people. The war will be just, and it must be won.

Psalm 102:2