Pages

Saturday, December 16, 2023

Ignoring the News

It's nine days before Christmas, and I find I'm starting to ignore the news.

While I'm fully aware that the country, not to mention the world, is a hot mess, I don't need to be continuously reminded of it during my favorite time of year. So, I'm concentrating on Christmas with excessive diligence this year.

One thing that helps me do that is the huge Nativity scene on display near my church's main entrance. I drive past it almost every day. The parish decorates to the hilt every year; below is a photo from last Christmas. The display is visible from blocks away, and it really can put one in a Christmas frame of mind. It certainly works for me.

My advice is to take a step back from the depressing scandals and sordid stories in today's news and find your own ways to focus more fully on the beauty of the season. Before you know it, in little more than a week, you'll be having yourselves a merry little Christmas.