Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2024

Objective Secure

Early this summer I stumbled across Green Beret Nick Lavery's story. I think I first heard him speak on Shawn Ryan's podcast (Episode #28). Completely captivated, I found and watched the entire interview on YouTube--twice. Also, I discovered an even more in-depth interview on Jocko Willink's podcast (#347) and watched that one, too--again, twice. 

I went on to order and read Lavery's book, Objective Secure. Discovering Nick's Instagram account, I immediately became a follower and sent him an IM--which Nick promptly answered. For his birthday, my son got his own copy of Objective Secure from me; he chuckles that I'm "a groupie." That's probably an accurate description. 

It's more effective if you hear and read Nick's story for yourself, but I'll say this much: this man should be dead at least a dozen times over. In three separate combat incidents, he was wounded by shrapnel, shot in the face, and had his right leg destroyed by enemy machine gun fire. The numerous medical threats and complications that accompanied his third, catastrophic injury, resulting in an above-the-knee amputation, defy belief. 

Also defying belief is the fact that Nick was determined to return to active duty as a Green Beret--and he succeeded, as a Special Forces Warrant Officer. The obstacles he needed to overcome were staggering. He is the first Special Forces combat-wounded, above-the-knee amputee to return to the battlefield. When you learn his story, you'll understand why. It's obvious to me that Nick is meant to live, to teach, and to inspire.

It's a comforting thought to know that such men as Nick Lavery still walk among us.