Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2024

Fighting Evil

By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes.

~ Macbeth, 4:1

Today the Catholic Church observes the feast of archangels, Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael. These are biblical figures, all appearing in Holy Scripture. Gabriel is presented as the messenger, Raphael as the healer, and Michael as the defender against evil

In my opinion, Michael has the busiest agenda these days. I've often heard news and opinion commentators, local as well as national, describe the USA's current internal and global struggles as "spiritual warfare." I find myself agreeing. We are certainly in the days when the dominating cultural trend is to "call evil good, and good evil" (Isaiah 5:20). 

St. Michael is the patron of the military, police, first responders, Israel and Ukraine, plus all defenders against evil. It's safe to say he's got his hands full these days.

Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle...