Pages

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Fenced Off


I am starting to feel as The Anchoress does...totally burned out on writing about politics. I mean, what's the point? The circus we call the U.S. Congress never seems to get it right. Voter/citizens are sick and weary of trying to make their voices heard over the din of explosive senatorial rhetoric and militant illegal immigrants, not to mention those disapproving Mexican officials we suddenly seem expected to mollify.

And then, we see a glimmer of hope in today's Senate vote. Do they mean it this time? Or will the fence be whittled down to playpen size before we're done? I doubt a positive outcome, but stay tuned. Life is full of surprises. Congress actually doing something substantive about illegal immigration may yet be one of them.

While we're waiting, make a note of the 16 fools who voted against the fence:

Akaka (D-HI)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Dodd (D-CT)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI)
Inouye (D-HI)
Jeffords (I-VT)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Lieberman (D-CT)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Murray (D-WA)
Obama (D-IL)
Reed (D-RI)
Sarbanes (D-MD)
(HT: Hugh Hewitt)

Regardless of today's vote, I think I'll take a political break for a while. Check back for Kathy's Poetry Corner, maybe. A couple of interesting saints have feast days coming up on the Catholic calendar, which always provides me with the opportunity for a refreshing change of pace. And there's always the topic-rich "Da Vinci Code," which I'll be seeing and reviewing before the month's end.

So I'll just leave the fence issue on the back burner for now. Something tells me it's not going anywhere.