Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Banner Yet Waving


Like so many Californians, I'm working from home most weekdays. At the workday's end I usually take a long walk, just to get out of the four walls and to enjoy some fresh air and sunshine. I travel various routes in my longtime neighborhood. Lately I've noticed many more American flags flying from individual homes.

I thought seeing more flags on display was my imagination, given the current strife within our country. But today I turned down a small side street I haven't walked on for many months. What I saw stopped me in my tracks and warmed my heart. In the space of one short block, on both sides of the street, I counted fourteen American flags flying proudly in the late afternoon sun. Most rode high on standing flagpoles; some hung on shorter poles, next to front doors or over garages. It was such an uplifting sight that I felt breathless for a moment.

This is one small street in one neighborhood in California. It appears the neighbors have all agreed to fly our flag to show their support for our wonderful, wounded country. How many other streets are there, in how many towns, cities and states all over America, where residents have made the same commitment to honor our national unity? It's a question that inspires in me a sunny shaft of hope.